Here are some of my favorite tips that help to keep me in shape when I'm traveling:
- First off, pack your gym clothes. There's nothing I hate more than thinking I've dragged too much stuff on vacation - so if I pack my gym clothes, I'll make the point to where them! Not to mention, if they are on top of the suitcase, I'll think "I should workout" every time I see them.
- Take the stairs. My coworker and I regularly do a stair workout during lunch. It's a great workout and it's something you can do almost anywhere - especially in a hotel! While in Virginia Beach this summer I made it a point to get at least two stair workouts in - and it really helped! If you've never ran stairs before, you'll be surprised at what a great workout it is!
- Hike! If you're in the mountains, plan a short (or long) hiking trip. It's a nice way to see an area from a different point of view - and it's usually free!
- Swim! That hotel pool isn't just for sunbathing, get in and do a couple of laps!
- Walk it out. Incorporate some walking into your trip. Even if it's just while shopping or exploring a town or city - park somewhere and walk around! Every little bit helps!
- If you're a runner, find a safe place to run. Whether it's on the treadmill at the hotel gym, on the beach or through a city, get a run in. Just make sure you know where you're going and how to get back.
- If you're a gym rat - find a local gym and see if you can get a day pass - these are usually relatively inexpensive or even free if you're a member of a sister gym.
- Try to eat clean when you can. Just because you're on vacation doesn't mean you should eat crap the whole time time. Remember to eat your veggies and lean proteins and watch your alcohol intake.